We had some cool ideas for the Duck Shoot Challenge... unfortunately, in order to 1.) do well in their university studies, 2.) completely redesign/print the new version of HAL we abandoned the cool slingatron idea to focus on a claw attachment similar to what we used last year. Our previous claw is a bit bulkly and rather stiff as we do not have good spacers in the mechanism. Last year we also didn't have a servo controlling the claw. So we basically set the claw at a particular openness and ran the challenges. That didn't work so well in the Skittles challenge but was great in the Deranged Golf challenge.
So how can we make this work for this year's challenges?
First, we "borrowed" a working claw off the CNM AFRL Robotics Team's robotic arm.
Second, we ordered a much improved servo motor as the tiny SG-90 motors we have in the Lab will not move a claw of this size.
Third, we designed a mounting bracket that fit on the back end of HAL 2.0 and allows for height adjustments of the claw. (golf ball and tennis ball heights)
Fourth, we printed a pair of servo horns that fit the newer, bigger servo motor.
Fifth, We pulled one of our spare Ultraborgs out of the toolbox to drive the servo for these two challenges.
Due to SD card migration and testing of HAL 2.0 being completed by the team today, my task has become making the contraption work tomorrow...
Check back on Monday to see how well we get along with this.